The Government has taken initiatives in construction of warship under the “Make in India”.
Major shipbuilding projects in respect to Indigenous Aircraft Carrier, Frigates, Submarines, Destroyers, Corvettes, Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels etc., are at various stages of execution at different Indian shipyards.
The Navy designs most of its weapon intensive warships in-house and gets them built indigenously at Indian Shipyards. The Indian Navy has the in-house capability to design complex frontline combatants like Corvettes, Stealth Frigates, Destroyers and Aircraft Carriers.
Several measures have been taken by the Government to meet Indian Navy’s requirements. Some of them are as follows:-
- Strengthening the infrastructure of DPSU shipyards.
- Adoption of modular construction technologies to bring down construction period of warships.
- Policy intervention for the participation of private shipyards in Naval projects.
- Policy intervention for promoting indigenisation of imported equipment for warships.
- Promoting Artificial Intelligence in warship construction activities.
This information was given by Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh in a written reply to Shri D.K. Suresh in Lok Sabha